Friday, March 23, 2007


Taking the H.S at 69

By Ratnadeep Choudhury

There are numerous instances when elderly people in this world have gone on to achieve success in different field irrespective of their old age, just by virtue of their immense courage and sheer determination. The 69 years old Ramanimohan Paul of Agartala is one such man. At this age of spending leisure times, he has gone back to the book into order to pull off his dream of passing the Higher Secondary examination. Ramanimohan Paul, a retired government employee, is the oldest student appearing for Higher Secondary Examination this year under the Tripura Board of Secondary Education (TBSE).

Ramanimohan Paul has shown how a man can pursue with education even at an age when he finds himself mostly uptight with his cardiac disease. A father of two sons and one daughter, all of them well established as engineers, Paul has a well settled family. After his retirement from Government job, he felt that the best way to utilize his retired life would be to sit for the H.S Examinations, a long cherished dream that has eluded him till now. "It was in 1967 that I had last appeared in an Intermediate examination. The venue was prestigious Maharaja Bir Bikram College. But on the first day soon after the invigilator distributed the question papers, I suddenly decided not to continue with the examinations and left the hall", recalled Paul. He was then an employee with the Tripura Territorial Council, which is defunct long back. Later he worked with the PWD Department. He retired in 1996 from Public Health Engineering Department.

Once inside the examination hall, Paul appeared very serious and gave an impression that he indeed toiled hard to prepare himself before the examination. He seems unfazed about the fact that he is appearing the examinations in midst of a hunk of youngsters. "It was not easy for me. I took some time make up my mind. Last year also I filled up the form but ultimately did not go ahead with the plan. I was not totally convinced, but this year I m determined. I am not worried about the outcome, I feel education is for all at any age." pal said. In the examination hall, he remains very cool and serious in answering the questions. The subjects that he is appearing for are economics, political science and eco-geo apart from Bengali and English.
Paul started his educational career from Belonia Vidyapeeth in South Tripura district. He studied there from Class VI to Class IX and all the time he used stood to first in the class. This fact obviously confirms that he was undeniably a good student. Later, his family shifted to Agartala and he joined the government service, bringing an end to his educational career, but he did bid adieu. "After retirement I had enough time in hand but nothing to do. It was then I felt I should complete the unfinished task of having an HS certificate", Paul told the newsmen.

Cut to his home, his family members are elated with his endeavor at this old age. His wife, Leela Paul "age for education can never be a barrier. We are really very happy that despite his heart problem and diabetes he is determined to appear the exams this year. But I am a bit tensed about his health condition yet I am proud of my husband". His children Debabrata, Mousumi and Jayanta, all engineers by profession, take a deep sense of pride their father's effort. His family has been the greatest source for inspiration for this old man who feels education is the biggest asset of life. "My Wife and children and most importantly my grand children stood by me. They encouraged me and I am also grateful to school teacher Ratish Deb, for keeping my spirit up.", paul told nesun.

Paul's endeavour will undoubtedly be a morale booster for many old people like him. It seems that Ramanimohan Paul can be the brand ambassador of Northeast for adult literacy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angshuman Sarkar said...

nice write-ups and topics. super ..

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home