Wednesday, November 28, 2007


The 'porcupine man' of Northeast


By Ratnadeep Choudhury

People can go to any extent to bear out their dare-devil acts. One such valiant dare devil is Dilip Bharadwaj, a 51 years old Pharmacy shop owner from Silchar town in southern Assam who can pierce thousand of disposable syringe needle in his body.

Recently Bharadwaj stunned the people of Agartala where in a show he pierced more than 6,000 disposable needles into his body. The astonishing act has also earned him the title of 'porcupine man'.

"We were astonished how he could piece so many needles in his body." said Santanu Bhattacharjee, one of the spectators. Bharadwaj was invited to Agartala by a local club to attract crowds during recently held puja festival.

Talking to Northeast Sun, Bharadwaj said "I had been performing this act for past few years. I would like to break the world record for piercing most number of needles. I desperately want to make it to the Guinness Book of World record". The Indian record, according to Bharadwaj, is by a person from the southern India who had pierced 1,009 needles in his body.

Piercing the body with needles did not start as a hobby for Bharadwaj. It was rather family illness that got Bharadwaj to try piercing needles in his body. "My wife Niyati was severely ill and required to take an injection, but was she scared. To inspire her I pierced my body and it went on." Bharadwaj added. This soon turned out to be a passion for him. His son now helps him in his daring act. "I spike the needles all around my stomach and design it like a flower or an insect but I remain careful so that I do not hurt myself in the process" he told reporter after the show at Agartala.

Bharadwaj has proved that with sheer courage one can perform even the most daring of acts and people of Northeast are full of courage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home